RUSHEN PARISH COMMISSIONERS
Meeting 7pm Wed. 21st March 2012 at Ballafesson Hall.
Present: Mr D Cain (Chairman), Mr P Vernon (Vice-Chairman), Mr P Gunn, Mr D Radcliffe. Mr A Tinkler (later).
The Clerk, Mrs Gillian Kelly, was in attendance.
Mr Ivor Ramsden from the Manx Aviation Preservation Society attended later.
The Minutes of the Meeting held Wednesday 15th February 2012, having previously been circulated, were taken as read, agreed a true record and approved for signing.
2. MATTERS ARISING:
a) Southern Area Plan
The Inspector’s Report had been on the Government web site on 17th February. Three hard copies had been received – one for in the Office for the public to come and look at and three more copies had been purchased at £6 each.
The Clerk had contacted Emily Curphey, Planning Policy Manager, to ask what further stages there were, if any. They were not seeking views on the Inspector’s report. They were considering the implications of his report and making recommendations to the Department as to how the Plan may be modified to meet the findings of the report. Once the Department had agreed any modifications to the Area Plan these would be published and representations would be sought. This would be the opportunity for the Commissioners to respond to the modifications on the Plan.
The Report had been very difficult to read as the Draft Written Statement and maps had to be referred back to all the way through to cross-reference. It was generally agreed that everyone was very disappointed that the Inspector had not taken on board what RPC had said, especially with regard to ‘unsustainability’. The suggestions regarding other areas in the Parish which may be suitable for development had, once again, been ignored. The Inspector had said that he had taken note of public opinion but it was evident that he had not taken much notice of RPC who had consulted the public and held public meetings.
It was agreed that RPC should issue a press release and Mr Radcliffe and the Clerk were to do this together. It was also agreed to write to the MHKs after the notification regarding modifications had been released by the Planning Office.
b) DoI/Local Authority Issues
ELECTION 26th APRIL.
Nominations would close at 5pm on 29th March. The Clerk had put up Election Posters. Nomination forms and the other information were available from her and she had brought some to the Meeting, which Members took.
The Local Government Unit had sent out posters and leaflets to LAs and they had also arranged for these to be inside every copy of the IOM Courier. Their composite Notice would also be in the Courier and the Examiner.
The Clerk had booked Ballafesson Hall as the Polling Station; provisionally booked polling booths from DoI – these would cost £48 56 ( 2 hour’s work in getting them out of store and putting them back) and which must be collected and returned – after making arrangements with the man in charge. It is mandatory for Polling Cards to be sent out – these would cost 5.4 p each and postage would be 37p each. There were 1,292 voters on the list. To reserve the special stationery for these cards (even if there was no contested election) there would be a charge in advance. Once a person had been nominated i.e. his/her nomination form has been completed correctly and returned and accepted by the Clerk/ Returning Officer then they can be given a copy of the Electoral Roll. (No need if there is no contested election). However, they must comply with Data Protection and the Clerk had received information from Data Protection of which she must inform the candidates – it would then be their responsibility to comply with Data Protection – there would be a large fine if they didn’t. This was not the responsibility of local authority staff.
It was confirmed that the Clerk, Mrs Gillian Kelly, would be Returning Officer for the Election. She had already carried out some of the duties required in the run-up to the Election. She would be attending the Office on Friday 30th March before 2pm to take any objections to the Nominations and to decide on their validity.
Members’ Declaration of Interests
Letter from Office of Deputy Clerk of Tynwald re the Select Committee on Local Authorities: Members’ Interests. Members had each been given a copy. Responses were required by 26th March if possible.
This was discussed and, whilst Members felt that transparency was very important, some of the requirements were ‘a bit over the top’ and could discourage people from standing for election. Enclosed had been a copy of the requirements of declaration of interests for Members of Tynwald. These were thought to be too comprehensive for a Local Authority whose Members did not have the power which Members of Tynwald have. With regard to recommendation 3 – Members felt that ‘guidance’ needs to be something a Local Authority could agree to – not be ‘imposed’
Member of the House of Keys for Local Authorities – Richard Ronan MHK. Letter received – writing in his capacity as the new Member with responsibility for Local Authorities. He wished to meet with all Local authority Members to discuss and generate ideas on how they can go about tackling the future challenges that they faced together. He had formerly indicated that he would be contacting RPC in the New Year. However, a number of LAs had indicated they would like to meet him over the coming weeks and he said that he would be happy to arrange this. Additionally there had been some LAs who had expressed a desire to delay a meeting until after the elections in April. As such, he had asked officers in the Local Government Unit to instead make contact with these Authorities after 26th April. In the meantime if Members had any issues or concerns they would like to discuss they could contact him.
It was agreed to contact him after Easter and the Election.
c) Waste Management and Refuse Collection
Jones Services – nothing further.
Commercial refuse – invoices sent. The Clerk had worked out costs based on the weights which Jones Services had recorded. There were very little savings for the Shore Hotel.
Bad debts – This was to be dealt with by the Small Claims Court.
Ballagawne Road lighting upgrading scheme. The trees had not been cut back yet.
Lights beyond repair
RN066 Mount Gawne Road. Reported as beyond repair as fitting and arm badly corroded. Estimate for cost of replacement arm and fitting £457 plus vat.
RN102 Viking Hill, Ballakillowey. Column and fitting badly corroded. Estiamted cost of replacement – £2,155 + VAT.
It was agreed that this work should be carried out.
Maintenance Contract for signing. Pricing Schedule. Public Lighting Strategy Update – enclosed.
Pricing – 21 clocks @ £2.2 & 139 lights @ £7.11 – 1,034.49 plus vat (£1,241.39).
Replacement clock £260; replacement fitting £390; pole mounted arm, fitting & clock £730; replacement 5m or 6m column & fitting £2,200; replacement 8m column & fitting £2,400; period fitting £1,000; 5m column with embellishment kit £3,000; 5/6m folding replacement column £2,800; repainting column, including materials £110.
The new electricity service connection charge would be £720. All above were plus VAT.
It was agreed that the new Contract be signed. The Chairman and Clerk duly signed it.
e) High Hedges – Nothing.
Mr Vernon and the Clerk had attended the Traffic Meeting on Wed. 14th.
Ballafesson Road – speed roundels – to be done in warmer weather.
Ballachurry Corner - standing water now dealt with – taken off their agenda.
Plantation Hill. – Danger to pedestrians, etc on hill. Not on their agenda.
Speeding on Howe Road. Nothing further
Civic Amenity Site lines and signs. The lines had not done but the sign had been replaced.
The Level/Croit-e-Caley. The speed of traffic. They may put roundels on the road and a 30mph speed sign.
Glen Chass – sharp corner & turning circle. Cul de Sac sign. Not installed yet – will be done.
Glen Chass Road – narrow corner. Not on their agenda.
Ballakillowey Roundabout. The Clerk had pointed out, again, that cars coming from Ballakillowey were speeding down and across the roundabout.
Cregneash – safety of pedestrians coming to and from the car park to look at the Village. The wooden bollards had been removed. They will deal with the surfacing when it is no longer used for the storage of equipment for Sound Café car park works.
Ballakillowey Road – Mr Vernon had mentioned the lack of a pavement from Ballakillowey Estate down to Bradda View. He had been approached by a resident of the area to see if one could be put in for the safety of pedestrians. The clerk was to write to Jim Davidson of DoI to ask if this could be done.
The new traffic mirror at the bottom of Mount Gawne Road – on Shore road was mentioned. This had been put in at the request of people using that road and finding exiting it was dangerous due to lack of visibility.
Mr Vernon had attended the Police Meeting. He had asked for the timetable for when the police officers were on duty. The Clerk had received the list and passed it on to Mr Vernon..
h) Litter, beach cleans, dog fouling, etc
Dog bin on the traffic sign on the Ballachurry side of the new roundabout. Mr Radcliffe had now done this. The Clerk had received requests for one down Mount Gawne Road – people were using bags but then just throwing them in the hedge or side of the road. Also – request (written) from residents of Ballakilpheric – asking for 2 dog bins.
It was agreed that a bin should be put down Mount Gawne Road. With regard to Ballakilpheric it was agreed that one should be put near the phone box at the junction by the Chapel but it was felt that the other suggestion – by the footpath near Robin Hill Farm was too close to the other one. One would be sufficient.
Mr Cain said he had been asked if a dog bin could be put on Truggan Road, near Glendown. It was agreed that this should be done.
Mr Tinkler arrived at the meeting.
Signs – Workshop for the Disabled. The Clerk had not had time to go and see what they produced.
Beach Cleans – PSM School were going to clean Fleshwick the following Tuesday.
i) Ballafesson Playing Field, Car Park at The Howe, Signs
The shed. Nothing further.
Swing & matting. Nothing further.
Car Park, the Howe. Mr Booth was to be asked to cut the hedge.
j) Web Site
Mr Vernon had put the Election Notice on it. Mr Thornley had been in touch with Mr Vernon to ask if RPC wanted the site updated or anything else done. It was agreed that members should contact Mr Vernon if they would like anything done or put on it.
k) Southern Civic Amenity Site.
Report from the Amenity Site Jan. 2012. This had been received and noted.
Letter from John Wrigley, Head of Waste Management, DoI. (forwarded to Members 7/3). ‘As you may be aware the Department has recently met with the Southern Civic Amenity Board to discuss the potential redevelopment of the Southern Civic Amenity Site. During this meeting it was agreed that the Department would prepare an online design for the redeveloped site. As you know the Southern Area Plan did identify the Balthane Industrial Estate, Ballasalla as suitable location for this type of development and therefore prior to the Department commissioning a new design at the existing site I would seek the Commissioners views on whether you feel a new site should be explored at this location or reaffirmation that the existing site remains the best option. Once this is established the Department can move forward with commissioning the design work.
This was discussed and Members felt reasonably happy for it to be where it is. There were concerns about the costs of running it. Mr Vernon had spoken to the Clerk of the Site who had indicated that she felt that the Site was fine where it is and there was room to expand if needed. The only problem seemed to be the greenwaste composting. Mr Cain said that more storage on site was needed to maximise the use of the machinery hired from JCK which was expensive but dealt with the greenwaste very much faster than any other machinery which had been used.
A reply to be sent to Mr Wrigley.
l) Municipal Association
Mr Gunn had attended the last meeting. Dawn Henley, who was in charge of the physical activity programme for the Island, spoke to the meeting. Also discussed was the mobile library which was due to be closed. It was agreed that there should be a collaborative effort made to try and save it. The Municipal Association AGM was to be held on 24th May at the Glen Helen Hotel. Mr Gunn and the Clerk indicted that they would attend.
l) Southern Swimming Pool
Mr Radcliffe said that they were advertising for some new staff. They had been advised to look into getting a new pool cover to conserve energy. This would cost £40,000. It had not been agreed to purchase this.
m) Allotments nothing further – no meeting arranged.
n) Southern Healthcare Committee
AGM – Mr Vernon had attended the AGM. Mr David Anderson MHK and Minister had attended. Mr David Killip CEO had also attended. The plans for the old Southlands – Rosien House, had been raised. The top floor was underused but was heated. Mr Vernon had suggested that they get tenants for these rooms. Also raised by Mr Tinkler (Secretary) the possibility of some bus routes direct from the south to Nobles Hospital. The new Chairman was Mr Juan Watterson MHK, new Vice-Chairman was Laurence Skelly (MHK) and Mr Tinkler remained as Secretary.
p) Rushen Ambulance
Mr Tinkler said that there had been nothing further but that was to be a meeting ‘soon’.
q) MNH nothing at present.
r) Risk Assessment Nothing new at present.
s) Land in front of Hillcrest, Cregneash,
Pic-nic Site, Ballakillowey. From January & February meetings.
Everyone had looked at this and it was agreed that RPC could look after this by keeping the grass cut back. The Clerk was to write to DoI inquiry as to the possibility of RPC taking on the responsibility of cutting the grass and keeping it tidy.
Mr Ivor Ramsden, Manx Aviation Preservation Society, arrived – 8 30pm. This was to discuss the Dedication Ceremony on Saturday 14th April to commemorate the crash of the Flying Fortress, ‘Combined Operations’ near Glen Chass. Mr Tinkler, the Clerk and Mr Rasmden had this all in hand.
t) Golden Jubilee Trust There was nothing further on this.
u) Unsightly buildings and land
Complaint by Mr Richmond, New Dwelling/The Level House, The Level.
Hon P GawneMHK had contacted Mr Richmond. This was re-iterating what the Environmental Health Officers had told him. RPC had done everything correctly.
v) Sloc Sites & Seats, etc.
Chasms path – seat and plaque. Mr Cain indicated that this should be taken off the agenda for the moment.
w) Croit-e-Caley Green – bench and tree.
Stone – Mr Cain had contacted Pooilvaaish Ltd again.
x) Agricultural Rating Nothing further from the Government Valuer but it was noted that on the latest Supplemental List Upper Scard had been revalued as non-agricultural.
y) Grass Cutting
First invoice received from Mr Booth.
These had been posted on 8th March. Thanks were given to the Clerk and her grandchildren for dealing with the envelope labels and some of the newsletters and Mr Radcliffe and Mr Vernon who had also put some of the newsletters in envelopes. Mr Radcliffe had taken all of them to the Sorting Office for franking and posting.
Aa) Disaster Recovery Plan
WiManx. Dealing with this was to be left until after the Election as the Clerk had said she did not want to risk losing any of the Election documents which were on the computer nor the possibility of not being able to use the computer for a day.
Ae) Ballagawne Road – bus shelter.
Mr F McCabe had put in the concrete base at the bus stop. Mr Radcliffe was thanked for sorting this out.
Ballachurry Bus Shelter nothing further.
Af) Winter Concert/talk
The Clerk had sent the thank you letters out. Mr Robinson wanted the donation to be sent to the Alzheimer’s Society (from Thousla Trust). Letter of thanks from Rushen Endowment Fund.
Ag) Hedge at Garthcote & others.
The Clerk had written to the occupier of Garthcote – nothing back.
Cronk Ailse, Ballafesson Road – Mr Cowley has been on the phone to say that he would get it cut. He had asked someone to do it last Autumn but it had not been done.
ah) consultation – Draft Planning Policy Statement – Replacement and extension of Dwellings in the Countryside.
Nothing further on this.
ai) Castletown Commissoners – sharing services. (after the Election)
Aj) Zero rated properties
The Clerk had written to the Government Valuer re the Level Inn House
aj) New Youth Committee This was to be taken off the Agenda.
ak) Southern Chronicle. The latest edition had been published on 9th March.
al) Planning Committee Meetings
There had been no more communication regarding representatives of LAs being invited to attend. The Clerk was keeping her eye on the planning lists which were emailed to her to see if there were any plans in Rushen being considered by the Planning Committee.
am) List of past Chairman. Mr Vernon would be continuing with this research.
an) Memorial to wartime plane crash.
Ivor Ramsden of MAPS attended the meeting at 8 15pm – see Minutes.
Mr Tinkler gave an update on this.
The plaque/stone was completed and just required the edges tidying up.
Mrs Susannah Shimmin had said that the ladies of the Chapel were willing to be present and provide cups of tea. ‘However, as the number of people attending this event could prove to be quite large we have come to the conclusion that the providing of more substantial refreshments might be beyond us.’ It was agreed that outside caterers should be contacted for a price for sandwiches, cakes, etc.
War Memorial Committee – Mr R Christian had sent a letter enclosing a form to fill in with regard to this memorial. This would be done after the plaque had been dedicated
ao) Her Majesty The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012.
Stanley Clucas CP. He had said that Port St Mary Commissioners didn’t want anything to do with these celebrations.. He had organised a meeting on Wed 14th - D Cain and P Vernon representing RPC, D Corkish and JP Depin for Port Erin.
Mr Cain had attended the meeting and gave a report. Mr Vernon had not been able to attend. It had been agreed to hold the event on Saturday 7th July but, if wet, it would be held on the Sunday. It was suggested that it should be self-financing with Rushen and Port Erin Commissioners putting in £200 each. RPC would be in charge of funds. Mr Depin would be in charge of catering; Mr Corkish in charge of stalls (but it transpired he would be off-Island on the day); Mr Cain woiuld be in charge of the sports and Mr Vernon in charge of music, band, chairs. Mr Alan Clucas and Mr Paul Costain would be in charge of the Knockout competition. Some had been in favour of an event in Paul Costain’s barn. There was also interest in having a concert – possibly in Port Erin.
It was agreed that Mrs Kelly, the Clerk, would be Treasurer for the Event.
Insurance – The Clerk had contacted Marsh to ask them to check if RPC’s insurance would cover the Event – voluntary helpers. If not, what would it cost to do so. She had spoken with Mr Clucas after his meeting and suggested that RPC should be the umbrella organisation for the Event so that their insurance could be used.
Mugs – The Clerk been unsuccessful in contacting Fenton’s China from whom RPC had bought 250 mugs for the Golden Jubilee in 2002 – £2.58 each.
Mr Tinkler had contacted John Gill of the Dept. of Education to see if they were going to present the children with anything for the Jubilee. He said that he thought that the Government may be doing so but nothing official yet. The Department of Education were not making any presentation. Whether children in the Parish should be presented with mugs or coins was discussed but no decision made. It was possible that Manx Inspirations may sell suitable mugs. It was agreed to wait and see what the Government say they are going to do.
ap) Damaged telecom box by footpath over Meayll Hill. The Clerk had contacted them and the box had been removed.
aq) Concert at The Howe
This was now cancelled because the Jubilee Fair was going to be held the next day and also some of the people and children which would have been involved would not be available due to the schools being shut. Mrs Susannah Shimmin had written to explain this.
ar) Housing Conference 2012.
Friday 23rd March from 8 45am in the Wentworth Suite, Mount Murray. Invoice received for prepayment for meals. The Clerk and Mr Vernon were to attend this.
Received – Report of the Review of Affordable Housing Provision on the Island – David Tolsen Partnership. This was received by email and forwarded to Members. It was 58 pages so the Clerk had only got 2 copies made – one for Mr Vernon. This was to be one of the topics at the Conference. Also received – letter from Minister – Consultation Report (shorter version) and questionnaire – copies were given to Members on the evening of the meeting.. The questionnaire to be completed before 7th June. This would be dealt with at the next meeting as there had been no time to read through it and it was very important.
As) Weed Control Act.
The results of the DEFA Weeds Act consultation were available to view using the following link www.gov.im/lib/docs/daff/Consultations/wwedsactconsultationsummaryofrespons.pdf
RESPONSIBLE FINANCE OFFICER’S REPORT.
The financial information is available for scrutiny at the Office of the Commissioners.
a) 1st Supplemental List 2012.
Note – the Level Inn House had now been ‘re-instated + garage’ RV £140. Previously 0. Upper Scard – no longer agricultural – RV now £128 (was £80). Thie Thooit Beg, Cregneash – now had bathroom – RV £24 (was £20)
b) consultation – Regulation of Care Bill.
From Chris Robertshaw, MHK, Minister of Social Care. (forwarded to Members 23/2) The Regulation of Care Bill was open for consultation until 25th May.
This would be considered at the April Meeting.
c) Highways Amenities
The Director of Highways wrote re Street Cafes and ‘A’ Boards. The DoI had reviewed its policy around the operation of Section 78 of the Highways Act 1986 since the Planning Authority became part of the same Department as the Highways Authority in April 2010. The key questions under consideration were whether the street cafes require planning permission and whether ‘A’ boards require advertising consent as well as requiring a licence under Section 78.
Street Cafes are a useful extension of the trading area of refreshment businesses and can also add to the vibrancy of the streetscene and help promote economic activity in retail areas, especially in the summer months. However they can also generate noise and unwanted intrusion. Therefore the Department has decided to retain a requirement for planning consent as this process ensures that there can be proper open public scrutiny and consideration of any proposals. The process has been shortened to a degree as, once Planning Consent has been granted the licence can be automatically issued to the applicant by the Local Authority.
‘A’ Boards – advertising consent for these? Bearing in mind that the Council, in granting a licence under Section 78, is the same authority which would be granting advertising consent under Section 298 (10) of the Local Government Consolidation Act 1916, the Department has decided that a Section 78 license is sufficient in itself and that consequently no separate advertising consent is necessary for ‘A’ boards. This is in the context of the Department deciding that ‘A’ boards are a temporary feature on any street. The Department intends to run a 36 month trial that will continue indefinitely if successful.
For both ‘A’ boards and Street Cafes, approval under the Highways Act will be subject to the following conditions:-
1) The application relates to the public highways (A licence under the Highways Act only applies to a public highway)
2) The local Authority prepares guidelines which the DOI (Highways & Planning & Building control Divisions) agree before they process licences (as Douglas have already done).
3. Where there are multiple occupants in one building or in close proximity on a street, where appropriate they are required to combine their ‘A’ boards to ensure that there are not excessive numbers of ‘A’ boards in any one location;
4. The local authorities deal with all complaints arising from their issue of licences;
5. We require the local authority to consult locally before issuing a licence (as per the current Act);
6. The Department reserves the right to check each licence (by Planning and Highway Authorities within the Department) prior to it being issued and to refuse and licence;
7. We reserve the right for the Department to remove an obstruction on the highway.
If the Department refuses a request for a licence then the LA may submit a written appeal within 28 days and the Department will decide the matter. Irrespective of outcome, there is no further right of appeal; however the applicant may re-apply after 24 months has elapsed or if there is a material change in circumstance.
‘I hope that this approach will simplify the process somewhat without losing the opportunity for the public to make representation if they wish. Can I take this opportunity to remind you that Local Authorities do not currently have the powers to remove obstructions from the highways and tis power can be of assistance when enforcing licences under these provisions. The Department has previously offered to formerly delegate powers and, should your authority find that of any assistance, please let me know.’ (Richard Pearson – Director)
This was noted.
d) Easter Athletics Festival – Good Friday Road Race 6th April.
Letter from D. Ronan giving details of the Great South Run starting in Port Erin. This would be their 50th anniversary. This was noted.
e) consultation – Proposed Estate Agents and landlords Bill 2012 – initial consultation.
This was available on www.gov.im/dsc. Responses by 27th April 2012. Noted.
f) Annual Report of the Tynwald Advisory Council for Disabilities.
You can access this on firstname.lastname@example.org. Ellen Callister is the Secretary to the Council. Noted.
g) Mobile Library.
Email (forwarded to Members 15/3) from Clerk to Port St Mary Commissioners who had discussed the mobile library service being cut. They were to write to Peter Karran, Minister to ask that the decision be reconsidered and also for a breakdown in costs involved in running the service. PSM Board had asked their Clerk to explore if the service could be run jointly between a number of the rural local authorities or those not currently running their own library service. ‘At this early stage and ahead of any response from the Department of Education, the Board has asked if there was interest from any of those affected authorities in investigating this further? For your reference, my services have been offered by my Board to lead this.’
RPC Clerk had emailed back to PSM Clerk the information that RPC had for many years made contributions towards Port Erin Library and gave £700 in the current year. Rushen residents also paid a subscription. She had said that RPC may be interested in investigating contributing towards the mobile library as they had discussed this in the past.
email from Local government Unit – Mrs Beecroft MHK would be asking a question in House of Keys the following week :- ‘What library facilities and at what cost the following Commissioners purchase for their ratepayers at other libraries. Andreas, Arbory, Ballaugh, Braddan, Bride, German, Jurby, Laxey, Lezayre, Lonan, Malew, Marown, Maughold, Patrick, Rushen, Santon, Michael and Port St Mary.
As they required the reply by 5pm on Wednesday (today) the Clerk had replied with the relevant information – copied to Members.
It was agreed to wait for more information regarding the costs and who uses the mobile library.
h) Armed Forces Day – Sunday 24th June.
Invitation from the Committee to attend their celebrations on 24th June. Starting with a march from Regent Street to the Villa Marine at 3pm. Some members would be marching as veterans. The Service starts at 3 45pm (be seated by 3 35pm) This would be followed by tea and an evening entertainment. Seats would be reserved for the Commissioners in the middle of the Circle besides the Members of Tynwald. In the event of heavy rain the march would be cancelled but the rest of the programme would proceed. They would like an indication of probably numbers. Contact Elaine.email@example.com no later than 22nd June.
There was no indication that any Member would attend.
i) Communications Commission – further consultation papers.
Forwarded to Members 25/2. A further two consultation papers were available to view on www.iomcc.im. This was noted.
They run a recycling business in Balthane. ‘Over the past few years we have been asked by various Commissioners and Government Departments for help, which we have always happily done.’ They are wanting to do something about recycling via ‘bring banks’. ‘In order for us as a company to get the finance in place for the purchase of bins and or recycling cages, we need to have agreements in place, this is not relating to money issues etc., just your Board’s agreement that we have this or that space for say 5+ years. Every area we do for you, we will supply a complete set of bins and or cages and provide the funding and do the service for the FREE, all we ask is for your help. If you would like me to call and talk to your Commissioners I am more than happy to do so, also feel free to visit me at Balthane.’ Patrick Lewis (Paddy)
It was agreed that if RPC would think of a suitable site they would get in touch with Askbuck.
k) Road Transport Licensing Committee.
Applications, Decisions and Notices. Noted.
l) Invitation to attend – ‘A State of Well-being’
Invitation received for Clerk and Chairperson to meet with Sister Jayanti, European director of Brahma Kumaris World spiritual University and NGO representative to the United Nations, Geneva. Meeting will be on Friday 27th April from 1 15pm – 2pm in the Millennium Room. A light lunch will be supplied in the Tynwald Members’ Room on the 1st floor at 1pm. The topic will be ‘A State of Well-being’. ‘We are delighted that this meeting has been sponsored by Phil Gawne MHK. This is a unique opportunity to meet and discuss with a highly respected international speaker ways of fostering personal growth and well-being in a climate of change and uncertainty.’ RSVP 8 March. None to attend.
m) Manx Classic 2012 – Thursday 26th to Saturday 28th April 2012.
Letter from Manx Motor Racing Club Ltd. Advising of the Sloc Hill Climb as part of the Event – to be held on Friday 27th April. They had applied for a road closing order. Noted.
n) consultation – Planning Policy Statement – Planning and the Economy.
Received a letter that day from the Director of Planning, Michael Gallagher, that ‘you may be aware that on 21st February 2011 (2012?), as part of the budget debate David Cretney, the Minister for Infrastructure announced the publication for consultation of a Draft Planning Policy Statement (PPS)on Planning & the Economy. This details how planning can support the economy here in the Isle of Man. Since then the consultation has received coverage on a number of occasions in the local media. We are contacting you to remind you that the consultation period on the above Draft Planning Policy Statement closes on 3rd April 2012. We have noticed that we do not as yet have any responses from any Local Authorities and are keen to ensure that your views are considered in any revision to the Planning Policy Statement. The Planning Policy Statement can be accessed via the Government’s consultation website at the following link: www.gov.im/consultations.gov.
The Clerk had contacted Planning as RPC had not received this consultation document. She was told more or less that it had been expected that LAs would read/hear of it in the media and respond. The Clerk had told the officer that it was no wonder that they had received no replies from LAs – they would have expected to have been contacted at the very least. The officer she spoke to said she would speak to Mr Gallagher (there had already been another LA on the phone to them about this).
The Clerk had printed off a copy for all Members.
Members expressed their disappointment in this attitude to elected Members of Local Authorities. Views would be given after the April Meeting, by which time Members would have been able to have studied the document and its implications.
9. PLANNING APPLICATIONS
a) 12/0238. 4 Grenea Cottages, Shore Road. Patricia Linnane. Demolish existing garage and erect side and rear extension. No objections.
b) 12/0244. Field 414178 Off Mount Gawne Road. Henry Costain. Re-location of field access. No objections.
c) 12/0170. Empress Villa, Ballakillowey. Amendment. Miss Charlotte Bell. Alteration to boundary. No objections.
d) 12/0264. Kimmeragh, Ballafesson Road. Mr & Mrs David Fisher. Proposed dormer extension to southeast elevation. No objections.
e) 12/0315. Ballagawne Cottage, Ballagawne Road. Mr G Pairman. Replacement white pvc windows and door to front porch. Windows and door to have internal Georgian bars to match existing windows and doors – same as previously fitted to rest of house. No objections.
f) 12/0270. The Level Cottages, Ballagawne Road. Hintock Ltd. Demolition of existing 4 cottages and replacement with 4 cottages. Raising the height of the roof so that ground floor room ceilings are higher. Roof to be peaked to replace flat roof rear extension.
No objections. It was felt that the increased height would enable the ground floor ceilings to be of an adequate height for modern living conditions as it was known that they were, at present very low.
g) IN PRINCIPLE 12/0298. Former Motorlands Garage Site. Bonville Ltd. Erection of three detached houses.
No objections. It was felt that this was an improvement on the former application for a large apartment block. Although the proposed houses were shown to be quit tall it was felt that this would be an opportunity for attractively designed houses to be built on this site.
10. PLANNING APPROVALS
a) 12/0123. Bracken Hills, Surby Road. Mr R Walker. Construction of a replacement terrace. Decision – Senior Planning Officer. Issued 2nd March 2012.
b) 12/082. Wychwood, Honna Road, Surby. Mr G F Smallhorn. Alterations, erection of extension and roofing works to dwelling. Usual conditions include 3. The external finishes of the extension must match those of the existing building in all respects. Decision – Senior Planning Officer. Issued 2nd March 2012.
c) 12/0147. 2 Carrick Bay View, Ballagawne Road. Dr & Mrs N Ogilvy. Alterations and erection of extension to building. Decision – Senior Planning Officer. Issued 12th March.
11. PLANNING REFUSALS none.
12. PLANNING APPEALS
a) 11/1700. Kentraugh, Shore Road. Hintock Ltd. Appeal against refusal for installation of a solar panel. Appeal to be held 11am on 22nd March 2012.
13. COMPLETION CERTIFICATES none
14. OTHER PLANNING MATTERS none.
15. ANY OTHER BUSINESS none
16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING Wed. 18th April.