RUSHEN PARISH COMMISSIONERS
Meeting held 7pm Wed. 18th April 2012 at Ballafesson Hall.
Present: Mr D Cain (Chairman), Mr P Vernon (Vice-chairman), Mr P Gunn, Mr A Tinkler, Mr D Radcliffe.
Mr S Pilling, elected at the Uncontested Election, attended as an observer but could not take part as he would not be a Member of RPC until 1st May. He was, however, asked for his views on some matters.
The Minutes of the Meeting held Wednesday 21st March 2012, having previously been circulated, were taken as read, agreed a true record and approved for signing.
2. MATTERS ARISING:
a) Southern Area Plan
The Inspector’s Report. There has been nothing further from Planning regarding any modifications
Mr Radcliffe and the Clerk had not written a press statement as it was agreed to wait until the notification came from the Office of Planning regarding any modifications.
b) DoI/Local Authority Issues
ELECTION 26th APRIL. Nominations closed at 5pm on 29th March. The Returning Officer attended the Office at 2pm on Friday 30th March. There were no objections and all five nomination papers were declared valid. As there were five nominations for five seats the Election was Uncontested and the five new Members of Rushen Parish Commissioners would be as shown in the following notice:-
PARISH DISTRICT OF RUSHEN
LOCAL ELECTIONS ACT 1986
Election of five Commissioners (for 5 seats) to serve a term of four years commencing on the 1st Day of May 2012
NOTICE OF CANDIDATES ELECTED Uncontested Election
I hereby give notice that the names of the Candidates Elected at the above Election are:-
CAIN Derek Harold, Glendown Farm, Truggan Road
GUNN Peter Gordon, Fleshwick House, Fleshwick
PILLING Stanley Howard, 61 Garth Avenue, Surby
RADCLIFFE Thomas David, Ballafesson Farmhouse, Qualtrough’s Lane, Ballafesson
VERNON Peter John, Kincroft, Surby Road, Ballafesson
Dated this 30th Day of March 2012 Gillian Kelly, Returning Officer
As per Election Rules – the Notice had been published in two local newspapers – IOM Examiner and the Courier. Notices of those elected had been put around the Parish and the Election notices taken down.
The Hall, polling booths, polling cards, staff, etc had all been cancelled.
The next Meeting, which would be the AGM and the first in the new term, was agreed to be held on 9th May. The Clerk pointed out that all the new Members would be in office from 1st May.
Members’ Declaration of Interests
The Clerk had written to the Deputy Clerk of Tynwald giving Members views on the letter received. This had been acknowledged.
Member of the House of Keys for Local Authorities – Mr Richard Ronan MHK had previously asked to meet with all the Local Authorities. Mr Gunn reported that Mr Ronan had attended a Municipal Association meeting as a speaker and he was not in favour of making Local Authorities amalgamate but they should make their own decisions regarding that. He indicated that the Chief Minister and the DoI Minister were not like-minded. It was agreed that Mr Ronan should be invited to the June Meeting.
Local Authority Borrowing – The Local Government Unit had written to ask Local Authorities had any capital scheme in the next 5 years. Treasury were working with the banks to deal with future borrowing facility for LAs. This was for schemes which would require petitioning being £100k or more. RPC had no such capital schemes in the pipeline.
c) Waste Management and Refuse Collection
Jones Services – The Standing Order regarding the monthly payments (in arrears) was to be changed to the new amount.
Commercial refuse – Mr Dobson of the Sound Café had indicated that he would like weekly collections to start again for the summer. The Clerk had arranged this with Jones Services and asked for a price for this.
Bad debts – Mr Turner – it was decided that this must go to the Small Claims Court.
Ballagawne Road lighting upgrading scheme. The trees had not been cut back yet.
e) High Hedges – Nothing.
email from Hugo Mackenzie – roundels. ‘Following discussions with our operators division regarding the marking and maintenance of roundel markings at various, a decision has been made that with immediate effect the Department will cease to use roundels as a traffic calming measure. I appreciate that your commissioners may be disappointed with this decision and I will see if we can come up with an alternative signing solutions for Ballafesson and Croit-e-Caley.’ I wrote back asking for the reason roundels will no longer be sued. Reply – ‘This is predominately a maintenance issue. Where they have been used elsewhere in the Island they have not stayed on the road surface for the expected lifetime. As you are aware we have a limited weather period when they can be applied leading to partial roundels dotted around the Island when they fail.’
Members were very disappointed with this decision. Ballafesson Road, from the Barracks up to Ballachurry Corner has for a long time given much concern to residents. There have been incidents due to traffic going too fast. Also of concern was the road up from the junction to the Chapel. – another place where incidents had occurred due to the width of the road and parked cars. Both of these roads needed re-evaluating and were to be brought up at the next Traffic Meeting. Mr Radcliffe, who knew of near-accidents on the lower part of the road indicated that he would like to attend the next Traffic Meeting.
Ballafesson Road – nothing – see above.
Plantation Hill. – Danger to pedestrians, etc on hill. Not on their agenda.
Speeding on Howe Road. Nothing further
Civic Amenity Site lines
The Level/Croit-e-Caley. The speed of traffic. They may put in a 30mph speed sign but no roundels.
Glen Chass – sharp corner & turning circle. Cul de Sac sign.
Glen Chass Road – narrow corner. Not on their agenda.
Cregneash – safety of pedestrians coming to and from the car park to look at the Folk Museum. Once the car park at the Quarry was not being used for construction traffic it was indicated that the while lining indicating the safe walking area would be painted. There was no point in doing so prior to that as the lorries would only drive over the new paint markings.
Ballakillowey Road – nothing further.
The next meeting will be on 24th April. There was nothing for the agenda?
h) Litter, beach cleans, dog fouling, etc
Dog bins – The Clerk had ordered 4 from Colas. She had asked Mr Booth if he could put them up and he had indicated that he could do so. The Mount Gawne Road one – he said that Mrs Cregeen suggested that it be put near the grit bin as that was where a lot of the bags were thrown. It would need a pole put in to fix it to. MNH had asked for one to be put on the road leading from Cregneash to Ballnahowe – near the lane which goes up to the pill boxes. They had indicated that there seemed to be a dog dirt problem there. It would have to be put on a pole on the roadside and in a place which Jones Services could empty it without much problem. Mr Radcliffe had the fixing clips and would give them back to the Clerk.
Mr Radcliffe said that there was need for a litter bin for Surby Village. He had one in the store and it was agreed that he could put it up in the appropriate place.
Signs – Workshop for the Disabled. The Clerk had still not had time to go there.
Beach Cleans – The Friends of PSM School had collected 6 bags from Fleshwick. Mr Vernon agreed to take the bags to the Amenity Site. It was agreed to give the School £30.
Colby Methodist Chapel were trying to raise money towards the cost of their recent work done to the chapel and hall. The wrote offering to do a beach clean on Bay ny Carrickey. It was agreed that they could be paid to do this. The Clerk was to ask Mr Booth if he could remove the rubbish.
i) Ballafesson Playing Field, Car Park at The Howe, Signs, Footpaths.
The shed. Nothing further.
Swing & matting. Nothing further. Mr Cain said that he had seen rubber playground matting in Mr Driver’s yard which was understood to be from Port Erin’s playground. It was agreed that he should go and ask him what price 16 sq. metres would be.
Car Park, the Howe. Mr Booth had cut the hedge. Next time he was to be asked to cut both sides of the hedge.
Footpath from Ballakillowey to Carrick Bay View – The Clerk had contacted DoI Footpaths about this. They went to look at it in dry weather and didn’t find any problem. She had been told to write again if there was one is future.
j) Web Site.
Mr Vernon was keeping this up to date. Mr Thornley had contacted him to ask if RPC needed the site updated. Also the security would require updating which would cost £100. It was agreed that it should be upgraded and Mr Vernon would contact him. Items regarding the commemoration of the crash to the Flying Fortress were to be put on it.
k) Southern Civic Amenity Site.
Letter from John Wrigley, Head of Waste Management, DoI. A letter had been sent in reply.
l) Municipal Association
The Municipal Association AGM - 24th May at the Glen Helen Hotel 7pm for 7 30. Cost – £19.45 per person – to be paid before 15th May. PG and GK to attend.
Mr Gunn reported that Mr Richard Ronan MHK.and Amanda Craig, the Local Government Unit Manager had attended the last meeting. Mr Ronan had spoken about what powers could be given to Local Authorities and said that he was talking and listening to them. He indicated that his superiors were, however, keen on reform.
m) Southern Swimming Pool
Mr Radcliffe said that the next meeting was the following evening.
n) Allotments nothing further
o) Southern Healthcare Committee
The next meeting would be on 14th June.
p) Rushen Ambulance
Mr Tinkler said that there was nothing to report as there had been no meetings. He would give the new Secretary’s address to the Clerk.
q) MNH (dog bin)
r) Risk Assessment The Clerk and Mr Vernon had carried out a Risk Assessment for using the trailer for the Flying Fortress Memorial Dedication Service.
s) Land in front of Hillcrest, Cregneash
Picnic Site, Ballakillowey. From January & February meetings.
The Clerk had asked Mr Booth if he could have a look at the site and give a rough price for cutting this and keeping it tidy. She thought it was prudent to have some idea of costs prior to reaching any agreement with DoI. He indicated that he would charge £80 for the initial cut with his brushcutter of the gorse and the grassy area around the tables up to the bottom of where it banks up steeply to the roadside verge. If the ground was found not to be too rough and he could use his ride-on lawnmower cuts would then be about £45/£50. As an alternative, if it was too rough then he could cut less frequently with the brushcutter instead. With regard to the verge to the roadside it would take a lot of time and work so that may perhaps be just done three times a year as a separate job. Regarding the verge going from the path to the field side that could be cut maybe once a year in midsummer.
The Clerk was to contact the DoI with regard to taking part-responsibility and to discuss liability.
t) Golden Jubilee Trust nothing further.
u) Unsightly buildings and land
Complaint by Mr Richmond, New Dwelling/The Level House, The Level.
The Clerk had forwarded to Members – 11/4 an email from the Manager of Environmental Health to Mr Richmond. Subsequently a further email from Mr Richmond to John Howie, Environmental Health forwarded to Clerk. All emails indicated that RPC had done everything correctly so the emails were noted.
v) Croit-e-Caley Green – bench and tree.
Stone. Mr Cain had contacted Pooilvaaish Ltd but they had not come back to him with regard to the progress of the stone.
w) Agricultural Rating This was to be kept on the agenda for the moment.
x) Grass Cutting
Mr Radcliffe said that someone had been dumping grass and cutting by the Playing Field sign. She was to ask Mr Booth to clear it and keep it tidy.
Mr Vernon said he had been talking to Mr Will Kelly of Port St Mary who had been very complimentary about the newsletter and RPC.
Aa) Disaster Recovery Plan
WiManx. The Clerk would now have time to deal with this.
Ab) Ballagawne Road – bus shelter.
Les Cannan from Bus Vannan had contacted the Clerk. He said they hadn’t known RPC were putting the concrete base in and pointed out that they usually put concrete bases in to the height of a kerb; it should have a fence at the back to stop people falling into the hedge or further. They discussed bus shelters – he said they had to order them and they take 8 weeks to arrive – they are built to order as the firm did not keep a stock. They cost about £4,000. The question was asked whether a shelter was needed there as there were not many people using it. It was agreed that post and rails be erected for safety reasons. Mr Radcliffe was to contact Mr McCabe to do this.
Ballachurry Bus Shelter nothing further – Mr Cannan had previously said that they didn’t have anything suitable but he subsequently he now said that Bus Vannan had parts of bus shelters which could be used to provide a barrier at part of the front and they could provide a sheet of 6mm glass for £70. He suggested contacting their Contractor – Tommy Houlihan, Portland Services to discuss him installing this.
The Clerk was to contact Mr Houlihan, get a price and, if reasonable, the job was to be progressed.
Ac) Hedge at Garthcote & others.
Garthcote – nothing back.
Cronk Ailse, Ballafesson Road – Mr Cowley had now cut the hedge.
ad) consultation – Draft Planning Policy Statement – Replacement and extension of Dwellings in the Countryside.
Nothing further on this.
Ae) Castletown Commissoners – sharing services. To be left until after the Election.
Af) Zero rated properties
ag) Planning Committee Meetings
The Clerk was keeping her eye on their Agendas. Cregville, Cregneash – Amendments – was before the Committee a couple of weeks ago. Approved. Motorlands, Shore Road – in principle for 3 houses – would be considered at the Committee’s next meeting – recommended for approval.
am) List of past Chairman.
Mr Vernon would continue looking into this.
an) Memorial to wartime plane crash.
The Dedication Service had gone well with about one hundred people attending at the site and about ninety at the Chapel for refreshments afterwards. Mr Tinkler had looked after the Deputy Air Attache US from the American Embassy who had come over with his wife and young son. And he and Rev. Shirley Bench had dinner with them the previous evening. He had spoken with the American family members on the Sunday and they had been very appreciative of everything which had been done. Mr Tinkler said that it could not have been done without the enthusiasm of Ivor Ramsden of the Manx Aviation Preservation Society who had ensured that all the information on the plaque was absolutely accurate and who had been the contact with the American relatives (he had another group of about 40 coming over in September). A letter of thanks was to be sent to him and also to Rev. Shirley Bench who had conducted the Service. A letter of thanks also to be sent to the Members of Rushen Band who played Taps (the American ‘Last Post’).
Everyone had appreciated being able to ride on the trailer down to the site. This had been borrowed from DEFA (deposit of £100) and Mr Cain had collected this and used his tractor to take the people to and from the site. He was thanked for doing this.
It was agreed that a cheque for £100 be sent to the Howe Chapel as thanks for the use of the Chapel and for provision of cups of tea for everyone and the ladies serving the refreshments which had been provided to RPC by outside caterers.
Mr Tinkler had presented the Deputy Air Attache and the Lydon family with a copy of the historic Rushen map and also Meayll Peninsula booklets. A smaller version of the map was also to be given to Rev. Bench.
Mr Tinkler and the Clerk were thanked for all their work in bringing this event together and making it a success.
War Memorial Committee –the form which had been received could be completed and returned now that the memorial was in situ.
ao) Her Majesty The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012.
Mugs – The Clerk had contacted the Department of Education and was eventually told that they would not be giving anything to the children but they would try to find out if Government were going to – nothing further heard. She had also contacted the Post Office to see if they were going to give stamps to the Island’s children – they did not get back to her. Subsequently the DoE had phoned to say that the Government were to give the children of the Island gifts – COMIN had decided to give a folder of 6 commemorative stamps and a 50p coin.
It was therefore decided that RPC would not proceed with giving mugs to the Parish children.
Stanley Clucas CP. The Clerk had attended the meeting on 3rd April.
She had confirmed that RPC could use their Insurance for this Event and had spoken with Marsh and received confirmation that this was in order.. However, it did not cover ‘bouncy castles’. Usually the owners of these have their own insurance. The idea of the Committee was for the bouncy castle to be free for the children and sponsorship obtained to pay for it. The Clerk had approached Britannia International but would need to know the cost and details of the insurance. Mr Clucas had asked if the schools, organisations such as Guides and Scouts, etc were going to be approached to enter teams, encourage children to go ( and therefore have adults coming along too). The Clerk had offered to contact IOM Steam Packet re getting a prize for the ‘lucky ticket’ Mr Cain said that he had all the equipment to run the children’s sports. They would be given sweets as prizes.
ap) Housing Conference 2012.
Friday 23rd March from 8 45am in the Wentworth Suite, Mount Murray. Mr Vernon and the Clerk had attended this. They reported that it had been interesting and relevant this year. Chris Robertshaw Minister for Social Care had spoken and was there all day. A lot of the content of the Tolsen Report was discussed (there were representatives from them speaking). Means-testing, increasing rents and the other ‘controversial’ things in the report were also discussed.
It was made clear that the results from the questionnaire were very important . Members had brought their copies and it was gone through and answers given for the Clerk to send in online.
ac) consultation – Regulation of Care Bill.
From Chris Robertshaw, MHK, Minister of Social Care. (forwarded to Members 23/2) The Regulation of Care Bill was open for consultation until 25th May. From the March Meeting. No views were to be sent on this.
ad) Mobile Library.
The Mobile and children’s Library were now the subject of consideration of support by sponsorship.
n) consultation – Planning Policy Statement – Planning and the Economy.
The consultation time for this had now been extended to 4th May, probably due to complaints received about the lack of proper consultation.
Mr Radcliffe and the Clerk were to draw up the initial views for circulation to Members for their input.
Ae) Boundary Review Committee
Email received from Chairman of the Committee – forwarded to Members 12/4/ This gave various options regarding the number of MHKs for constituencies for the House of Keys. Members discussed this and agreed that they were happy with 8 constituencies with 3 Members. They also felt that the Government had more pressing problems to be considering than this. Also it was felt that those constituencies which had or could have only one Member have difficulties should their Member be a Minster, with consequent constraints, as they would not have the same representation as those who MHK was not a Minister. It was felt that it was impossible to answer such a broad questionnaire without more thorough investigation and information.
RESPONSIBLE FINANCE OFFICER’S REPORT.
This is available for scrutiny at the Office of the Commissioners.
a) 1st Supplemental List 2012.
b) Tynwald Enhancement Co-ordinator.
Aalish Maddrell had been appointed Tynwald Enhancement Coordinator for 2012. She was gathering information for the promotional leaflet which is distributed Island wide in the Courier. She would like to know events RPCwere holding in their area for Manx National Week – 1st – 8th July for inclusion in the leaflet. Maximum number of character 60 plus the timing of the event. By 22nd May.
The Clerk to give information regarding the Jubilee Fair on 7th July.
c) Irish Sea Zone – Zonal Appraisal and Planning (ZAP) Report.
Received by email and copied to Members 4/4. Comments by 30th April. Noted.
c) Planning and Building Control Search Fees.
DoI have increased their fees for a Planning and Building Control Search or request for Letters of Comfort. The amount would be £75 per request. Noted.
d) Manx National Rally 11th and 12th May.
Information re this rally and map. Noted.
e) Consultation – Company Residence for Income Tax Purpose.
Received by email and forwarded to Members 3 April. Noted.
f) Gas Conversion
email from Linda Patterson form 2 Old Bakery Cottages, Qualtrough’s Lane. The Gas Conversion was extended to the South of the Island. Ms Patterson contacted them to ask when their house would be converted and was told that the half dozen or so houses which have PLG bottled gas in Ballafesson had not been included in the budget. Is there anything RPC can do to help ‘in this ridiculous situation’?
Members felt that there was nothing they could do. They thought that the gas supply only went as far as the Ponyfields.
g) Road Transport Licensing Committee.
Applications, Decisions and Notices including a Police Notice re taxi parking in Victoria St, Douglas.
h) Sloc Hill Climb.
Road closure order – coming into operation on 27th April. Noted.
9. PLANNING APPLICATIONS
a) 12/0170. Empress Villa, Ballakillowey Road. Miss C Bell. Alterations and extensions. Amended Plan – showing layout and height alterations. No objections.
b) 12/0270. 1 – 4 Level Cottages, Colby. Hintock Ltd. additional plans (drainage at rear). No objections.
c) 12/0399. Lingague Farm Cottage, Ballakilpheric Road. Mr & Mrs J Brown. Construction of 2 storey extension to east elevation. No objections.
d) 12/0461. Rose Cottage/Quirk’s Croft, Cregneash. MNH. To change a disused croft building into a seminar room and public toilets (1 disabled) for the Cregneash Farming Museum. This involves a new thatched room, re=-pointing in lime the exterior walls, new windows and doors to existing style. New floor and insulated interior walls. No objections.
e) 12/0499. Laureston, The Level. Meadow Developments Ltd. Proposed boundary wall alterations to form new off road vehicle parking. No objections.
f) 12/0508. Rushen Primary School. Head Teacher/Department of Education & Children. Erection of 8m x 3m polytunnel on the school fields as part of the school garden. No objections.
g) 12/0528. Cronk Geayee, Ballagawne Road. Michele McGrath Edwin. Replace existing garage doors with French windows; change garage into a garden room. (future work subject of separate application). No objections.
10. PLANNING APPROVALS
a) 12/0138. Cregville, Cregneash. Mr D Boyles and Ms S Shimmin. Demolition of outbuilding and store, etection of an extension to side and rear elevation and creation of a pedestrian access (amendment to 10/0684). Decision – Planning Committee. Issued 3rd April 2012.
b) 12/0264. Kimmeragh, Ballafesson Road. Mr & Mrs D Fisher. Erection of dormer extension to dwelling. Conditions include – 3. The external finishes of the extension must match those of the existing building in all respects. Decision – Senior Planning Officer. Issued 4th April 2012.
c) 12/0315. Ballagawne Cottage, Ballagawne Road. Mr G Pairman. Installation of replacement windows and door to front porch. Decision – Senior Planning Officer. Issued 12th April 2012.
d) 12/0298. Former Motorlands Garage Site, Shore Road. Bonville Finance Ltd.Approval in Principle for the erection of three dwellings. Conditions include 1. Approval of the details of siting, design, external appearance of the building(s), internal layout, means of access, landscaping of the site (hereinafter called “the reserved matters”) shall be obtained from the Planning Authority in writing before any development is commenced. 2. The application for approval of the reserved matters shall be made to the Planning Authority before the expiration of two years from the end of this permission. 3. The development to which this permission relates shall begin within 4 years of the date of the permission or within two years of the final approval of the reserved matters, whichever is the later. 4. The application(s) for the reserved matters must demonstrate that the proposed dwellings vary from each other in massing and design to reflect the mixed character of the development fronting Shore Road. Note: the use of hipped roofing for one or more of the properties is encouraged which will introduce more significant breaks at roof level and will also reflect the use of this feature in the locality. 5. The application(s) for reserved matters must demonstrate that each dwelling has an access which affords visibility of 2m by 90m in each direction. 6. This application relates to the principle of the demolition of all existing buildings on site and their replacement with three detached dwellings, as shown generally in drawings SC1140/P/10-02 and 01 both received on 28th February 2012. Decision made by the Planning Committee. Issued 17th April 2012.
11. PLANNING REFUSALS
a) 12/0238. 4 Grenea Cottages, Shore Road. Patricia Linnane. Extension to side and rear of dwelling to replace existing garage. Reasons for Refusal – 1. The proposal represents an inappropriate form of development that would have a harmful impact on the character of the landscape contrary to the provisions of General Policy 2. 2. The proposed development would be contrary to Housing Policy 16 in the Isle of Man Strategic Policy 2007 in that the propose extension would increase the impact of the building as viewed by the public. Decision – Senior Planning Officer. Issued – 27th March 2012.
12. PLANNING APPEALS none
13. COMPLETION CERTIFICATES none
14. OTHER PLANNING MATTERS
a) Greystones, Ballakillowey.
Mr Dawson, who submitted the former plans – which RPC opposed and which were Refused at Appeal, had emailed with a drawing showing plans without the large gable window. He would like RPC to give their views on this before he submitted a new planning application for consideration. They “ do not wish to do any more formal architectural work until we have some confidence that we shall be successful with any further planning application.”
Members looked at this and noted that the large gable window was not now on the plan but the plan did not show clearly the new window proposal. The Clerk was to inform Mr Dawson that he should submit a Planning Application and RPC would consider them.
15. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Lt. Governor.
Mr Tinkle said that when he had been speaking with the Lt. Governor (when he took the American Attache to see him) he had said he was looking forward to visiting Rushen.
b) Mr Tinkler’s retirement.
Mr Tinkler said that he had enjoyed his time as a Member of Rushen Parish Commissioners (11 years) and he would miss the friendship of his colleagues. He thanked all the Members and the Clerk for their help.
Mr Cain, on behalf of all the Board, thanked Mr Tinkler for his involvement and all he had done for the Commissioners. He wished him well in his retirement.
16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The Clerk pointed out that this should be on 1st May as it was the first day of the new Municipal Year and of the new Board and was the AGM. It was agreed that it would be held on 9th May.
Mr Pilling left the Meeting.